by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Upper Hutt Leader : November 2nd 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011 SERVING YOUR COMMUNITY SINCE 1939 PARISH CELEBRATES Kids kick off festivities 3 FRIEND ME TOPS Fair Go ad award for HIBS 5 CORY'S STREET PARADE Honouring rugby legend 56 Letters 10 Real Estate 24-45 Arts 34-36 Motoring 46 Classifieds 47-51 Sport 54-56 What a blast! Big breakfast: Hayley McHugh and Kori Hodges from Stokes Valley out for a cup of tea. Photo: PETER McDONALD By ROSEMARY McLENNAN Upper Hutt laid on its best weather for a successful Fireworks Fantastic on Saturday evening. The director of the Upper Hutt Rotary Club fireworks project, Kevin Alkema, says the crowd was estimated at up to 10,000 and larger than last year. The clear, warm and windless evening was perfect and one of the best in the event s more than 40 years history, he said. The crowd was well-behaved. There were bans on alcohol and BYO fireworks. The added number of low-level fireworks by father and son duo Peter and Ted Owles was well- received by the crowd, which was excited by the closer action. Mr Alkema said the event cost $54,000 to run, funded largely by direct sponsorship from the Rimutaka Trust and Lion Foundation and other support included big discounts. The event had broken even but it would be a while before any profit, which will go back into the community, was known, he said. These and other photos from the event can be viewed and ordered at pix.ccn.co.nz. Long arm of law extends its reach By COLIN WILLIAMS CONTINUED Page 2 Known vandals will be trespassed from the Main St in a novel crime prevention approach between the police and the city council. The joint move is designed to curb the consistent tagging and etching of properties in the main shopping area and sees the council delegating its trespass powers, as owners of the Main St, to the police. This is a move designed to keep people and property safe, police area commander Inspector Mike Hill says. Final council approval will be given tonight to a move Mr Hill says is new and novel from a council point of view . The trespass notices, which can be expected to be served on what Mr Hill calls a hard core little group, will prevent individuals from entering the Main St between King St and Pine Ave. Police nationwide have an increased focus on crime preven- tion, he told councillors at Wednesday s policy committee. Any prevention is better than any apprehension. The proposal is to bring the prevention arm forward. It will give us the ability to remove them from where they are causing the problem, Mr Hill says. Despite police knowing who the main culprits are, due to New Zealand s legal environment they find that despite the action they take, vandalism and repeat offending occurs and they have no tool to prevent it, a report from city solicitor Andrea Hilton says. Most of the vandalism culprits are under 17 years of age. While individuals can be arrested at any age they must be 14 before they can be prosecuted. Unfortunately, even if the young people are prosecuted the damage has already been done and still has to be fixed. Vandalism affects the com- munity both financially and environmentally, Ms Hilton says. Planning appeal The city council s decision to decline planning approval for the Maidstone Quarter, a medium- density housing and business development on Blenheim St planned by the Gillies Group, has been appealed to the Environment Court. The automatic first stage in the court s handling of the appeal by Gillies Group will be formal mediation between the parties before the end of the year. In September the city s hearings committee declined the appli- cation for a resource consent on a councillors split vote, despite the go ahead recommendation of its own planning officers. The proposed development, on a 2.9 hectare site and comprising 127 dwellings and 10 business units, was planned to take up to 10 years to complete.
October 26th 2011
November 9th 2011